Destination Point Defiance
|Coming to Point Defiance: Hammerheads,
new recreation space & more!
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character.
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources.
- Parking and Traffic Circulation
- Owen Beach Improvements
- Coming Soon: Triangle Visioning
Focus on: "The Triangle"
The “Triangle” is a key piece of the Destination Point Defiance concept.district residents. Read More >
Construction Impacts: What's Happening
Week of January 16, 2017
Waterfront Phase I – Triangle
- This week we will strip Pier 4 column forms and place the forms for Pier 5 column. Pier 6 footing will be formed. Excavation will continue at the boat trailer.
- Visitors will see and hear excavators, dump trucks, a crane and concrete pump trucks at times.
- Neighbors will see and hear excavators, dump trucks, a crane and concrete pump trucks at times.
- Traffic impacts Minimal impacts should be noticed for this work.
- Work hours: 7 am-4 pm
Waterfront Phase I - Peninsula
- This week we will remove an old asbestos water line and continue with embanking slag the yacht club. Excavation, fabric and armor placement will occur along Reach B, and debris separation at lot a will continue. Gabion basket construction will continue at Lot A.
- Visitors will see and hear a crane for boat lift work, excavators in-water and large haul trucks.
- Neighbors will see and hear a crane for boat lift work, excavators in-water and large haul trucks.
- Traffic impacts: the entrance to the yacht club has revisions, as well as new traffic control in place for pedestrians and visitors to the yacht club.
- Special concerns: There will be 24 hour work this weekend continuing through next week.
Work hours: 24 hours
Environmental Learning Center
- January 3 update with photos (pdf)
Work hours 7 am-4 pm Monday-Friday
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is collaborating with Tacoma Public Schools’ Science and Math Institute (SAMI) on an environmental learning center to serve SAMI students and staff, as well as Zoo visitors and staff. Get ELC construction updates >
- This week we will continue with foundation drainage, waterproofing, and rebar forming off-site.
- Visitors will see and hear construction trucks, a crane and construction site noise.
- Park neighbors will see and hear construction trucks, a crane and construction site noise.
- Traffic Impacts: increased truck traffic through the Pearl Street entrance.
Work hours: 7 am-4 pm
Map of construction and parking changes
Click on a colored area to view information about the area: