Destination Point Defiance
|Coming to Point Defiance: Hammerheads,
new recreation space & more!
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character.
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources.
- Parking and Traffic Circulation public meeting. ONLINE SURVEY
- The new aquarium, which will replace the aging North Pacific Aquarium.
- A shared-use Environmental Learning Center to be built by Tacoma Public Schools inside the Zoo.
- 11 acres of new park on the peninsula at Point Defiance Park.
Construction Impacts: What's Happening
October 17, 2016
- This week underground life support piping is being installed as well as foundation drainage.
- Visitors will see and hear dump trucks, a crane and construction site noise.
- Park neighbors will see and hear dump trucks, a crane and construction site noise.
- Traffic Impacts: increased truck traffic through the Pearl Street entrance.
Work hours: 7 am-4 pm
Waterfront Phase I – Triangle
- This week we will continue with erosion control on the excavation, and work at Lot B for the pedestrian bridge. Sewer at Breakwater will continue.
- Visitors will see and hear crews onsite placing plastic and stabilizing the site. Minor earthwork activities and utility installation will be continuing.
- Neighbors will see and hear crews onsite placing plastic and stabilizing the site. Minor earthwork activities and utility installation will be continuing.
- Traffic impacts will be minimal. Lot B is closed to public use.
- Caution is advised: Please pay attention to construction personnel and signage.
- Please note: During storm events, generators and equipment may be heard in order to convey water to our treatment systems.
Work hours 7 am- 6 pm
Waterfront Phase I - Peninsula
- This week we will continue with Reach excavation and stabilzation.
- Visitors will see and hear equipment working in-water to excavate and stablize the slag. Erosion control crews will be onsite stabilizing the site.
- Neighbors will see and hear equipment working in-water to excavate and stablize the slag. Erosion control crews will be onsite stabilizing the site.
- Traffic impacts: Flagging at the entrace to the yacht club and a new parking lot will be established for yacht club visitors.
Work hours 7 am-4 pm
Environmental Learning Center
- Visitors will see activity along Animal Loop Road which loops around the zoo.
- Traffic impacts: none
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is collaborating with Tacoma Public Schools’ Science and Math Institute (SAMI) on an environmental learning center to serve SAMI students and staff, as well as Zoo visitors and staff. Get ELC construction updates >
Map of construction and parking changes
Click on a colored area to view information about the area: