Destination Point Defiance
|Coming to Point Defiance: Hammerheads,
new recreation space & more!
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character.
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources.
On this page, you can stay up to date, learn how to voice your opinions and find out what’s in store for Point Defiance Park!
- Thursday, Dec. 1 Public Workshop: Parking and Traffic Circulation
- Wednesday, Dec. 7 Public Meeting: Owen Beach Improvements
- Dates to be determined: Triangle Visioning
Construction Impacts: What's Happening
Week of December 5, 2016
- This week we will continue with foundation drainage, waterproofing, and rebar forming off-site.
- Visitors will see and hear construction trucks, a crane and construction site noise.
- Park neighbors will see and hear construction trucks, a crane and construction site noise.
- Traffic Impacts: increased truck traffic through the Pearl Street entrance.
Work hours: 7 am-4 pm
Waterfront Phase I – Triangle
- This week we will continue with selective earthwork, strip forms at Pier 2 and continue with wing walls on pier 1 of the pedestrian bridge. Pier 3-5 excavation will possibly start, weather dependent.
- Visitors will see and hear a crane for the bridge support, dump trucks and earthmoving equipment onsite.
- Neighbors will see and hear a crane for the bridge support, dump trucks and earthmoving equipment onsite.
- Traffic impacts will be minimal, additional dump trucks may be noticed.
- Work hours 7 am- 4 pm
Waterfront Phase I - Peninsula
- This week we will continue with slag embankment, liner grade, flag pole foundation and Reach C1 work. Boat lift work will continue with falsework and formwork for the caps and we will prepare to set the precast deck panels.
- Visitors will see and hear large earthmoving equipment, a crane at the boat lift and utility installation..
- Neighbors will see and hear large earthmoving equipment, a crane at the boat lift and utility installation.
- Traffic impacts will be minimal
- Special concerns: Night work will be intermittent at Lot A.
- Work hours 7 am-6 pm.
Environmental Learning Center
- This week we are working on mass excavation, forming footings, and installation of underground electrical.
- Visitors will see and hear trucks leaving the job site and truck noise. The site is busy with large machinery digging in soil.
- Neighbors will see and hear trucks leaving the job site and truck noise.
- Traffic impacts: occasional trucks entering and leaving park.
- November 15 update with photos (pdf)
Work hours 7 am-4:30 pm
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is collaborating with Tacoma Public Schools’ Science and Math Institute (SAMI) on an environmental learning center to serve SAMI students and staff, as well as Zoo visitors and staff. Get ELC construction updates >
Map of construction and parking changes
Click on a colored area to view information about the area:
Events Happening Here: