Destination Point Defiance
|Coming to Point Defiance: Hammerheads,
new recreation space & more!
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character.
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources.
- Parking and Traffic Circulation public meeting December 1 at Point Defiance Pagoda.
- The new aquarium, which will replace the aging North Pacific Aquarium.
- A shared-use Environmental Learning Center to be built by Tacoma Public Schools inside the Zoo.
- 11 acres of new park on the peninsula at Point Defiance Park.
Construction Impacts: What's Happening
October 24, 2016
- This week underground life support piping is being installed as well as foundation drainage.
- Visitors will see and hear dump trucks, a crane and construction site noise.
- Park neighbors will see and hear dump trucks, a crane and construction site noise.
- Traffic Impacts: increased truck traffic through the Pearl Street entrance.
Work hours: 7 am-4 pm
Waterfront Phase I – Triangle
- This week we will drill shoring pile to begin bridge footing excavation, continue with erosion control activities, and continue with the sewer installation at Breakwater Marina.
- Visitors will see and hear drilling activities, excavation, and utility installation.
- Neighbors will see and hear drilling activities, excavation, and utility installation.
- Traffic impacts: No major traffic impacts this week.
- Caution is advised: Please pay attention to construction personnel and signage.
Work hours 7 am- 4 pm
Waterfront Phase I - Peninsula
- This week we will continue with slag excavation and armoring, we will fill in the new yacht club parking with slag fill, and continue covering soil on the peninsula.
- Visitors will see and hear large equipment moving slag, excavation in-water, rock placement, and crews applying plastic to the slope.
- Neighbors will see and hear large equipment moving slag, excavation in-water, rock placement, and crews applying plastic to the slope.
- Traffic impacts: The yacht club entrance has been re-directed to a parking lot on top of fill.
- Special Concerns: Night work may occur due to tide work, but none is anticipated currently.
Work hours 7 am-4 pm
Environmental Learning Center
- Visitors will see activity along Animal Loop Road which loops around the zoo.
- Traffic impacts: none
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is collaborating with Tacoma Public Schools’ Science and Math Institute (SAMI) on an environmental learning center to serve SAMI students and staff, as well as Zoo visitors and staff. Get ELC construction updates >
Map of construction and parking changes
Click on a colored area to view information about the area:
Events Happening Here: