Destination Point Defiance
|Coming to Point Defiance: Hammerheads,
new recreation space & more!
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character.
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources.
Construction Impacts: What's Happening
Week of April 24, 2017 Construction Update (pdf)
Waterfront Phase I – Triangle
- This week we will continue to work towards placing all of the bridge deck. Selective earthwork will take place along the boat trailer parking area.
- Visitors will see and hear earthwork equipment and personnel on the bridge.
- Neighbors will see and hear earthwork equipment and personnel on the bridge.
- Traffic impacts: Minor traffic impacts anticipated. Traffic may be stopped short of the bridge to prevent any concrete splatter during pours.
Work hours: 7 am-4 pm
Waterfront Phase I - Peninsula
- This week we will continue placing liner around the peninsula. Grading will take place to prepare for more liner. Utility work will continue.
- Visitors will see and hear earthwork equipment onsite as well as personnel onsite.
- Neighbors will see and hear earthwork equipment onsite as well as personnel onsite.
- Traffic impacts: Traffic entering the yacht club property will be flagged through the entrance to ensure no conflicts with equipment take place. Lot A and Waterfront Drive will be closed to vehicles at all times, pedestrian access will be limited to off-work hours. Access to Dock B & A will be limited through a temporary connection at Dock C during working hours.
Work hours: 7 am-4 pm
Environmental Learning Center
Work hours 7 am-4 pm Monday-Friday, with the potential for Saturday work
- Environmental Learning Center Update 4-18-17 (pdf)
- This week waterproofing and siding will be installed on west side of building. Roof work continuing. Framing on exterior and interior walls continuing.
- Visitors will see and hear: siding installation and workers on lifts on the west side of the building.
- Traffic impacts: One lane of Animal Loop Road will be closed due to work on west side of bldg.
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is collaborating with Tacoma Public Schools’ Science and Math Institute (SAMI) on an environmental learning center to serve SAMI students and staff, as well as Zoo visitors and staff. Get ELC construction updates >
- This week: Lower service-level slab to be poured along with concrete work on perimeter walls, tank walls and exterior stairs.
- Visitors will see and hear increased traffic and general construction noise.
- Park neighbors will see and hear increased traffic and general construction noise.
- Traffic impacts: increased truck traffic through the Pearl Street entrance.
Work hours: 5 am-6 pm
Map of construction and parking changes
Click on a colored area to view information about the area: