Destination Point Defiance
|Coming to Point Defiance: Hammerheads,
new recreation space & more!
Traffic revisions, fencing, and construction equipment are signs of big improvements coming to Point Defiance Park under Destination Point Defiance.
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character.
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources.
Some of the biggest projects have begun! They include:
- Parking and Traffic Circulation public meeting
- The new aquarium, which will replace the aging North Pacific Aquarium.
- A shared-use Environmental Learning Center to be built by Tacoma Public Schools inside the Zoo.
- 11 acres of new park on the peninsula at Point Defiance Park.
Construction Impacts: What's Happening
September 12, 2016
- This week mass earthwork excavation continues to cut down the hill for the Aquarium site.
- Visitors will see and hear heavy equipment and dump trucks.
- Park neighbors will see and hear dump trucks going in and out of the Pearl Street entrance.
Work hours: 6 am to 4 pm
Waterfront Phase I – Triangle
- This week we will continue excavation of the boat trailer parking, embankment at the triangle, and off-haul of clean soil. Lot B will be closed beginning Sept. 15 and we will begin clearing and grubbing in the parking lot to allow for start of our bridge footings. ( More info about parking)
- Visitors will see and hear off-haul trucks, excavation, grading and tree falling.
- Neighbors will see and hear off-haul trucks, excavation, grading and tree falling.
- Traffic impacts: A spotter will be present for trucks leaving the Triangle area, and lot B will be closed starting Sept. 15.
- Caution is advised: Please pay attention to construction personnel and signage.
Work hours 7 am to 4 pm
Waterfront Phase I - Peninsula
- This week we will be continuing with electrical installation along the peninsula, continue excavation and armoring along the reaches, and begin geomembrane installation on the slag material in order to build a temporary parking lot.
- Visitors will see and hear large earth moving equipment, utility installation and erosion control activities.
- Neighbors will see and hear large earth moving equipment, utility installation and erosion control activities.
- Traffic impacts: The entrance to the yacht club may be flagged at times to allow for safe interaction between vehicles and construction equipment.
Work hours 7 am to 4 pm
Environmental Learning Center
- This week water line installation will continue.
- Visitors will see activity along Animal Loop Road which loops around the zoo.
- Traffic impacts: none
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is collaborating with Tacoma Public Schools’ Science and Math Institute (SAMI) on an environmental learning center to serve SAMI students and staff, as well as Zoo visitors and staff. Get ELC construction updates >
Map of construction and parking changes
Click on a colored area to view information about the area:
Events Happening Here: