Conservatory Improvements Overview
Public restrooms to be added to W.W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory
An informational meeting Jan. 12 will detail construction plans for 2017 and look at future additions. Read more >
- Thursday, Jan. 12
- 6 pm
- Learn about construction plans for 2017 and look at future additions.
- Metro Parks Tacoma headquarters, 4702 S. 19th St., Tacoma.
- Learn more >
|In 2005, Metro Parks, the City of Tacoma Landmarks Preservation Commission and the community agreed on a long-term plan to secure Wright Park’s status as one of the Puget Sound region’s signature parks.
W.W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory was a top priority.
|SIGN UP FOR
|After more than a century of use, the Victorian-style structure needs system and structural upgrades and additional space for botanical displays and interpretation.
Public Process and Community Input
In late 2015, Metro Parks unveiled initial schematic design options to restore and expand the conservatory. The public process included about 300 surveys and numerous comments during public meetings and presentations.
After extensive community input, final schematic drawings were unveiled July 21, 2016. Metro Parks has funding for rehabilitation, although further funding will have to be identified for the full designs to be completed. See the possible phasing in the drawings below.
Conservatory Schematic Designs
Click the left/right arrows to scroll through the slides. Click here to view the images in a pdf
The scope of work includes:
STRUCTURAL: UPGRADE TO ‘LIFE SAFETY’ PERFORMANCE LEVEL
- Weld double angles to existing plate columns at grids 6,8
- Stiffen primary steel framing at wings
- Horizontal steel tension x bracing at wing roofs
- Vertical steel tension x bracing at wing walls
- Reinforce welds at existing rotunda tension bracing
- Repair/replace steel beam in basement mechanical room
- Repair crack in basement concrete wall
- Repair exposed reinforcing steel in slab above mechanical room
ACCESS: UPGRADE SITE AND BUILDING ACCESSIBILITY COMPONENTS
- Provide accessible bathrooms, improve accessible route to building
PROGRAM: RESTORE ORIGINAL USE OF SPACE
- Remove gift shop/office from south wing, restore to plant display
SYSTEMS: UPGRADE/REPLACE EXISTING BUILDING SYSTEMS
- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Lighting replacement
ENVELOPE: (TYPICAL) PERIODIC MAINTENANCE OF ENVELOPE COMPONENTS
- Wood: repair, paint
- Steel: repair corroded members, paint
- Glazing: repair damaged panels, clean, reseal
- Foundation: remove plantings directly adjacent to building, regrade for positive drainage
- Gutters: restore at eaves of wings, connect to storm
- Vents: restore in concrete stem wall. Add dampers to control air flow
RESTORATION: HISTORICAL ELEMENTS
- Historical facades
- Copper gutters, storm drainage
W.W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory Restoration and Expansion
Project includes renovation and expansion of the conservatory.