Run the Parks creates a sense of community.
January 6, 2017
We welcome everyone to take part in Metro Parks Tacoma runs.
You don't need to be an athlete. You don't even need to run! Regardless of your age, experience or abilities, join in for the fun of it. We'd love to have you along.
Read Eldon's story about how the race community rallied for him:
Photo courtesy of Cheryl Friesen
"I don't like to sit around. I just want to keep moving."
Eldon Friesen got a virtual hero's welcome Dec. 24 as he finished the first race of Metro Parks' Jingle Bell Run.
The second race was delayed momentarily and a crowd of anxious runners parted to allow him to cross the finish line unimpeded.
It took Friesen just over two hours to complete the 3-mile event in Wright Park, but it was a finish unlike any other. Several years ago, Friesen had a stroke. Now, he employs a cane and walks very, very slowly.
After The News Tribune's Debbie Cafazzo wrote about Friesen, we spoke to him to hear his story firsthand.
"People encouraged me along the way. They told me: 'Way to go!" One woman came out and hung jingle bells around my neck. I have no idea where she came from," he said.
This was his first Metro Parks walk. But it won't be his last. "I think it was quite an accomplishment," he said. Despite his limitations, he enjoys exercise. "I don't like to sit around. I just want to keep going. ... I'd encourage everyone to come out and walk with me. If I can do it, you can. At least, give it a try."
The News Tribune's Debbie Cafazzo also wrote about Friesen.
Read The News Tribune's story about Friesen >
Run the Parks
A race a month, all year long!
- January 14 - Run the Greens - Meadow Park Golf Course
- February 11 - Valentines Run - Point Ruston
- March 25 - Mud Run Swan Creek Park
- April 11 - Opening Day 5k Cheney Stadium
- May 6 - Cinco de Mayo 5k Wright Park
- May 20 - Totally Kids Only Wapato Park
- June 17 - Tacky Tie 2-mile Jefferson Park
- July 22 - Swan Creek 5k Swan Creek Park
- August 23 - Thirsty Summer Nights Titlow Park
- September 9 - Dog Gone Run Stewart Heights Park
- September 16 - Run Wild Northwest Trek Wildlife Park
- October 21 - Black Cat Fun Run Point Defiance Park
- November 4 - Totally Kids Only Wapato Park
- November 23 - Norpoint Turkey Trot Center at Norpoint
- December 24 - Jingle Bell Run Wright Park
Learn more and sign up at www.metroparkstacoma.org/races