North Slope Historic District Park
Features You'll Find:Hover over an icon for more details
- Playground (5-12 yrs)
- Trail / Hard
- Trail / Soft
Open ½ hour before sunrise
Close ½ hour after sunset
1015 N. 8th St.
Tacoma, WA 98403
Originally purchased by Tacoma City Light in 1951 for use as a 'Distribution Yard,' this Substation remained in active service until 1983. Local residents noted Tacoma Power had a vacant lot and wondered whether it could become a 'Pocket Park' instead of another huge apartment complex. The North End Neighborhood Council eventually secured the funds from the Thea Foss Bond Issue given to each neighborhood council and in April 2001 the City of Tacoma became the owner of the property. Read more about the history of North Slope Historic District Park.
2009 - Power upgrades were made including the addition of electrical service to the park; site lighting fixtures for increased security and visibility from the street; 20 Amp convenience outlet circuit for power to support spontaneous neighborhood activities installed; automatic sprinkler irrigation system powered to eliminate use of battery packs; and secure and tamper proof electrical cabinet to house the meter base, circuit panel and electrical outlets installed. Work was funded by the Parks Improvement Bond Measure, approved by the citizens of Tacoma in November of 2005.
Project Manager: Ken Cornwall