Parks Appreciation Day
Mark your calendar!
April 22, 2017, 9 am to Noon
Does your employer match gifts? Click Here
We're celebrating Earth Day, Arbor Day, National Parks Week and your local parks in one fun event.
It's gratifying to know you are part of a major county-wide effort with nearly 2,000 other people working in their local parks at the same time.
- Parks and recreation programs bring tremendous benefits to people of all ages and our community.
- They contribute to helping us live longer, better lives through active pursuits, new life skills, educational programs and safe activities.
- Great parks and programs also help build a stronger community, connecting individuals, families and groups through the power of play.
- Recreation programs and engaging, exciting facilities help keep kids active and off the streets. There are also benefits for the environment and the economy.
- April 22, 2017 will be the 16th Year of the Event
- County-wide throughout Pierce County
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
- Wear warm, appropriate clothing, depending on the weather.
- Bring tools such as small hand tools, loppers, pruners, gloves, rakes, shovels, small pitch forks and even wheelbarrows (make sure and label them!).
- You are encouraged to carpool to the site you chose.
- Most of all bring your enthusiasm, smiles and be ready to burn some calories and have fun!
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING
- You can improve your community.
- You can help beautify your neighborhood park.
- You can get active and enhance your own health and well-being.
- You can help bring communities, businesses and neighborhoods together towards one common cause.
- You can increase family and children awareness of nature and their environment.
- You can make a difference, because together we can achieve more.
METRO PARKS TACOMA ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- An estimated 1,000 people volunteer
- Approximately 3,000 hours received enhancing parks yearly
- An estimated $64,860 of equivalent value received yearly
- An estimated 2,500 people volunteer throughout Pierce County
- Approximately 7,500 hours received enhancing parks
- An estimated $162,150 of equivalent value received
- Over 200 cubic yards of debris removed
- Over 150 bags of litter collected
- Over 15 yards of gravel spread
- Over 600 yards of mulch/chips spread
- Over 2,000 plants/trees/shrubs planted