Nurture in Nature Preschool
Our mission is to provide a high quality early childhood environment that meets preschooler's needs, while inspiring them to love nature.
Place your child in this warm, nurturing environment that offers diverse natural habitats, outstanding teachers and staff, and unique, hands-on learning programs that build a solid foundation for future school experiences. We learn by being outdoors - regardless of the weather.
- Download the Nurture in Nature Preschool Brochure
- Drop in informally to visit the Nature Center and ask questions about the preschool 9:00 am-4:00 pm Monday thru Saturday or call (253) 591-6439 to arrange a preschool tour. Please note that tour times are limited as we only offer them when preschool is not in session and the classroom is set-up.
- View DRAFT 2013-14 Calendar and Tuition Rates
- Enrollment for the 2013-14 school year is now closed. All sections are full with lengthy waiting lists. We will not accept any more applications. However, feel free to check back here in early September. Any openings will be posted.
- Otherwise, for the next school year (2014-15), the enrollment schedule will be as follows. Specific dates will be posted in fall of 2013. We do not accept applications prior to the posted dates. Come early for open enrollment of new students in March. The line always forms BEFORE we open the doors.
Returning Students early January
Siblings of existing students early February
New Students mid-March
Research shows that children who spend time in nature pay attention better, think more clearly, and are able to cope more effectively with stress.
At the Nurture in Nature Preschool, our program combines the best of hands-on outdoor and nature education with traditional teaching methods to help prepare your child for kindergarten and the years beyond.
Each section has a maximum of 12 children, with two teachers per class.
Nurture in Nature preschool offers many opportunities for parental involvement through volunteering on committees and assisting in special activities.
We offer part-day classes for 3 to 6 year olds. Children must be three by September 1 of the year they enroll and must be toilet trained. We are a nine-month program and require a commitment to a full school year (September - May). We do not generally allow mid-year enrollments.
Children may be enrolled for only one section. Please note age restrictions for each section.
Section A: Mon. & Wed. 9:00am - noon
Open to 3 and 4 year olds.
Section B: Mon., Wed. & Fri. 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Open to 4 and 5 year olds.
Additional tuition due for this section.
Section C: Tue. & Thu. 9:00am - noon
Open to 3 and 4 year olds
Section D: Tue. & Thu. 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Open to 4 and 5 year olds
*Pre-K classes are designed for children with some preschool or similar experience. The classes are more structured with increasingly advanced concepts and activities. Pre-K classes are not recommended for 4 year olds with no previous similar experiences.
First Circle: Welcome & Introduction to daily theme
Activity Time: Classroom exploration,
activities to develop fine motor skills, guided outdoor exploration
Second Circle: Story, music, movement
Guided Outdoor Exploration
Nature hike, group games, free play
Tuition is due monthly by the 15th of the previous month. A five percent discount applies to tuition paid in full for the entire school year by August 1, 2012.
Sections A,C & D - 2012/2013 School Year
$1,620 per student
$1,539 if paid in full by August 1
Section B - 2012/2013 School Year
$2,430 per student
$2,308 if paid in full by August 1
A $50.00 non-refundable registration fee is required with the registration application. Download Nurture in Nature Preschool Application here.
Additionally, families must belong to the Friends of the Tacoma Nature Center. Household memberships are currently $35 per year.
Some tuition scholarship assistance is available. Registration and membership fees are not eligible for financial assistance.
The links below help illuminate the philosophy and theories behind our Nurturing in Nature curriculum.