Destination Point Defiance
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character.
- Dune Peninsula at Point Defiance Park
- Wilson Way
- The Triangle Area
- Owen Beach Improvements
- Parking and Circulation Study
- Zoo Projects
- Fort Nisqually Improvements
- Japanese Garden
- Liz Rocks
- Infrastructure Improvements
- Point Defiance Stormwater Treatment
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources.
Construction Impacts: What's Happening
- This week we will pour the Lot B ramp, grade drainage ditches, grade Lot A for liner placement, install liner in Lot A.
- Visitors will see and hear: forklift, work trucks, generators,concrete trucks, sweeper truck.
- Neighbors will see and hear: forklift, work trucks, generators,concrete trucks, sweeper truck.
- Traffic impacts: Traffic impacts will be minimal. North Waterfront Dr closed. Lot B Closed. Boat Trailer Parking partially closed.
- Work hours: 7 am to 4:30 am
Waterfront Phase I - Peninsula
- This week we will work on punch list items site wide. Sweeping. Clean up. Fire suppression installation.
- Visitors will see and hear: Work trucks, temporary fencing, fork lift.
- Neighbors will see and hear: Work trucks, temporary fencing, fork lift .
- Traffic impacts: Peninsula parking lot and park is still closed.
- Work hours: 7 am-4:30 pm
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work.
Other funding sources include:
- Metro Parks 2014 capital improvement bond
- Metro Parks 2005 capital improvement bond
- Tacoma Public Schools 2013 capital construction bond (Environmental Learning Center)
- City of Tacoma
- Environmental Protection Agency
- ASARCO settlement
- Land and Water Conservation Fund
- Washington Wildlife and Recreation Fund
- Washington State Department of Ecology
- Washington State Department of Transportation
- Zoo Society
Design and Construction Manager
Waterfront Phase I
Dune Peninsula, Wilson Way, Triangle area
Owen Beach Improvements
Parking & Circulation Improvements
Send a Letter
- Feedback about capital improvement projects can be mailed to:
Metro Parks Tacoma attn: Destination Point Defiance
4702 S. 19th St., Tacoma, WA 98405