Destination Point Defiance
|Coming to Point Defiance: Hammerheads,
new recreation space & more!
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character.
The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources.
Construction Impacts: What's Happening
Photo shows construction progress on new aquarium
Week of July 17, 2017
Construction update (pdf) 7-17-17
Waterfront Phase I – Triangle
- This week we will continue excavating the boat trailer parking lot, installing drainage along the trail and bridge and placing a retaining wall at the stair climb.
- Visitors will see and hear earthwork equipment, drainage installation, wall placement and associated crews and equipment.
- Neighbors will see and hear earthwork equipment, drainage installation, wall placement and associated crews and equipment.
- Traffic impacts Traffic impacts will be minimal.
Work hours: 7 am-4 pm
Waterfront Phase I - Peninsula
- This week we will continue with with waterline installation, stair placement, landscape soil around the perimeter and electric services to the docks.
- Visitors will see and hear waterline installation, electrical installation, landscape installation and flatwork installation along with associated equipment and personnel with these activities.
- Neighbors will see and hear waterline installation, electrical installation, landscape installation and flatwork installation along with associated equipment and personnel with these activities.
- Traffic impacts: Traffic impacts will be minimal.
Work hours:7 am-9 pm
Pearl Street Roundabout
- This month: Construction has not started yet.
- Visitors and neighbors may see and hear third party utility companies onsite.
- Traffic impacts: None
Environmental Learning Center
Work hours 7 am-4 pm Monday-Friday, with the potential for Saturday work
- Environmental Learning Center Update 6-27-17 (pdf)
- This week waterproofing and siding will be installed on west side of building. Roof work continuing. Framing on exterior and interior walls continuing.
- Visitors will see and hear: siding installation and workers on lifts on the west side of the building.
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is collaborating with Tacoma Public Schools’ Science and Math Institute (SAMI) on an environmental learning center to serve SAMI students and staff, as well as Zoo visitors and staff. Get ELC construction updates >
- This week: Forming of surge tank, dearation tower, and balance tank. Retaining walls will be prepared for concrete.
- Visitors will see and hear general construction noise.
- Park neighbors will see and hear general construction noise.
- Traffic impacts: increased delivery traffic, concrete delivery and pumping.
Work hours: 5 am-6 pm
Map of construction and parking changes
Click on a colored area to view information about the area: