Programs & Activities
Summer at STAR Center is full if fun for kids with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We have a blast getting active, making crafts, and socializing with friends in our summer day camps.
Our Social Recreation Programs are designed to help people with disabilities to increase independence by having fun socializing with peers. Activities take place at STAR Center and are supervised by trained (and fun) staff.
Tuesday Night Activity Club & Wednesday Night Social Group
Feel free to sign up for both Tuesday & Wednesday night if you like!
These are social groups where you can socialize with your friends, play games, dance to music, and participate in the arts. Both nights are at STAR Center.
- Tuesday meets from 6:45-8:15 pm and is a little more mellow; they enjoy more crafts.
- Wednesday meets from 6-8 pm and is a little more active and loud; they enjoy more dancing and music.
This is a fun program during lunch time and afternoon. You can sign up for both Tuesdays and Thursdays if you want.
Please bring a sack lunch from home. After lunch, we play games, do arts and crafts, and get our bodies moving with easy exercises and some dance moves.
- Tuesdays 12-2 pm at STAR Center.
- Thursdays 12-2 pm at STAR Center.
Hang out with friends and get in shape! All ability levels are welcome. We will do group and individualized exercises, stretches, games, sports, and workouts. Please wear clothes you can be active in, and bring water! Meet at STAR Center.
- Thursdays 4-5:30 pm
Tacoma Garden Society
Come garden with us! Learn to grow fruits, veggies, flowers and more as we dig in the dirt in our garden in the spring and summer.
- Mondays 1- 2:30 pm (Spring and Summer)
Learn how to relax, settle your mind and have fun with friends. We’ll learn about how our thoughts and feelings are connected as we learn to become more self-aware and in control.
- Fridays 10 am-12 pm
Special Olympics is a fitness and sport-training program. Participation on competitive teams will be based on meeting minimum skills, attendance and ability of volunteer coaches. Enrollment limits have been set for each sport.
- Soccer – March – May
Saturdays and Tuesdays at SERA multi sport complex
- Track & Field – March – May
Practices are on Tuesdays from 5:30-7 pm at Gray Middle School (6229 S. Tyler St).
- Aquatics – March – May
Practice at University of Puget Sound (UPS) is Tuesdays 6-7:30 pm
Practice at Pacific Lutheran University (PLU) is Mondays 7-8:20 pm
- Golf – June – August
Practices are Mondays from 5-7 pm at Meadow Park Golf Course (7108 Lakewood Dr. W.). Tournaments dates will be announced.
- Softball – June – August
Practices are on Mondays & Thursdays from 5:30-7:30 pm at Heidelberg Field (S. 19th & Tyler St.).
Please connect with coaches for your actual practice time.
Tournaments dates will be announced.
- Bowling – August – October
Practices are on Mondays from 3:30-5 pm at Pacific Lanes (7015 S. D St).
Bowling Regional tournament date will be announced..
- Basketball Nov – February
Contact Beau for more information. Tournaments dates will be announced.
- Flag Football – Sept- Nov
- Prior to start of sport season, complete a registration form
- Download and print a Special Olympic Application for Participation (AFP).
- Schedule a physical exam with your doctor to fill out the AFP.
- Return completed forms (which need to be renewed every 3 years) with sports fee to Specialized Recreation at the STAR Center.
- Note that sports may require additional fees.
- Begin training.
- Soccer – March – May
All are welcome to participate in these non-competitive sports. Pre-registration required.
- Monday Bowling -Year around at Narrows Plaza Bowling
- Tuesday Bowling -Year around at Narrows Plaza Bowling
- Footgolf -April – September at Meadow Park Golf Course
The Weekend Adventures outing are for people 15 years and older. The program is designed to practice independence in the community with staff supports. We take trips and tours inside and outside Tacoma. Trips include: Long Beach Kite Festival, Seattle sporting events, Emerald Downs, Future of Flight, Olympic Game Farm, Snoqualmie Pass, Monster Trucks, dinner and movie, lunch and bowling, local restaurants, walking with Dinosaurs, horse back riding, quad racing, fairs, rock climbing, museums, kayaking,Space Needle and whale watching.
Our Vacation Adventure trips provide opportunities for adults – age 18 years and older with disabilities to vacation with friends in the Northwest in a variety of settings.
Our previous trips have been from 5-day tent camping to 2-day indoor lodge adventures. We have been to Orcas Island, Millersylvania, Long Beach, Twin Harbors, and Twanoh State Park just to name a few.
Spring is the quarter we register for Vacation Adventures. Please enjoy our pictures of previous trips!General Registration Information for Vacation Adventures:
Some of our programs require an attendant/staff fee, because our reservations occasionally include additional amenities. Call (253) 404-3950 for more information.
- Campers must be 18 years of age at the time of vacation.
- All our camping trips have a $35 non-refundable deposit due during payment/confirmations; including staff. This deposit does apply to registration fee.
- The full amount of the trip is due 4 weeks prior to the departure of the trip.
- Itinerary and final registration will be sent before each trip.
- Final registrations including medications sheet are due 4 weeks before trip.
All our healthy meals, EXCEPT FIRST LUNCH, are provided. Additional activities will be available that are not listed above. Itineraries are subject to availability and weather conditions. Campers must be ambulatory and in moderate physical condition– for more information call Specialized Recreation. If you have specific questions about these trips we would be happy to answer your questions.
Meet us in the STAR Center kitchen and learn how ot create a variety of dishes like sandwich rollups, chicken salads, desserts on a stick, foil pack dinners and more. Come learn how to create fun food recipes with your friends!
Create and take art classes are a great way to get inspired. Learn how to create works of art with spraypaint, watercolors and more.