Kayak and Motor Boat Rentals
Point Defiance Marina has been putting people on the water for over a hundred years!
Our fleet of 14-foot rental boats with 9.9 hp motors allows you to cruise or fish Puget Sound with ease.
Boats are limited to 4 adults or 800 pounds.
We supply all of the required safety gear and a tank of gas. (You are welcome to bring your own life jackets if you prefer)
Peak Season May 1 – September 30
- Three Hour Rental: $85
- Additional Hours: $15 per hour
- Daily: $110
- Boat Only: $40 per day
Off Season October 1 – April 30
- Daily: $70
- Boat Only: $25 per day
Rod, Reel and Net Rentals
- Rod and Reel Combo:$10
- Salmon Net: $10
Prices subject to change. Call (253) 404-3960 for daily hours of operation.
Kayak Rentals at Owen Beach
Weekends April, May, September (if weather permits) – 12-6 pm
Summer season: May 25 – September 2, 2019
- 1st Hour: $19
- 2 Hours: $27
- 3 Hours: $35
- 4 Hours: $43
- 5 Hours: $60
- 1st Hour: $26
- 2 Hours: $34
- 3 Hours: $42
- 4 Hours: $50
- 5 Hours: $75
All Prices include Paddle(s), PFDs, and Float Cushion. You will need a driver’s license or appropriate ID or $500 deposit (Credit Card). No Cash will be collected at Owen Beach Kayak Rentals, only VISA or MC. Rentals paid with cash can be done at the Boathouse Marina Tackle Shop.
- Boathouse Tackle Shop
Year round information
5912 N. Waterfront Dr., Tacoma, WA 98407
- Kayak rental on-site cell phone
Kayak season only
5605 N. Owen Beach Rd., Tacoma, WA 98407
Dress for the weather
Wear clothes that dry quickly, sun hat, sunglasses with a strap, sunscreen, shoes that can get wet (no hard soles, sandals, or flip flops), change of clothes in a dry bag, phone in a dry bag, towel, jacket. Keep all your belongings in a dry bag. A wetsuit is very nice but not required.
Keep hydrated and your energy up
Bring water bottle with water, energy drink, hearty snack.
Kayaks Available for Rent (21 total kayaks)
- Necky Looksha Tandem (6 total) Ride In
Length 18′ 1″ / Width 30″ / Weight 96 lbs. / Maximum Capacity 575-625 lbs.
- Oceans Kayak Malibu 2XL Tandem Kayak Sit on Top (5 total) Ride On Top
Length 13′ 5″ / Width 34″ / Weight 61 lbs. / Maximum Capacity 475 lbs.
- Old Town Sorrento 126 SK Single (11 total) Ride In
Weight 51 lbs. / Maximum Capacity 350 lbs.
- Necky Looksha Tandem (6 total) Ride In
Kayak Rental Policies & Boundaries
- Kayak rentals are at your own risk. Point Defiance Marina/Metro Parks Tacoma and staff are not responsible for personal injury or loss of property.
- The person renting the kayak must be 18 years or older.
- Youth under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Maximum weight as per manufacturer’s specifications.
- A personal flotation device is supplied and required at all times.
- Alcoholic beverages and pets are prohibited.
- Intentional capsizing or swamping the kayak is prohibited.
- No motors may be attached to a kayak.
- Do not stay on the water in the event of thunder or lightning.
- If the kayak capsizes it will continue to float. Hold onto the kayak and call (253) 591-7803 for help. If there is a medical emergency or injury call 911.
- Please dispose of litter in garbage cans at the end of your trip.
- Renter will be required to reimburse Point Defiance Marina/Metro Parks Tacoma for damaged or lost equipment.
- Rental equipment must be returend and checked by an attendant by the close of business.
- Kayaks are rented on a first come first serve basis.
- No refunds.
- In case of emergency call 911.
- Kayakers must follow vessel safety rules and stay within the boundaries designated by the attendants renting the kayak.
- Stay clear of the ferry when kayaking to Ruston Way
- Must stay out of boating lane and ferry lane (400 feet or less from shore)
- Must stay 200 feet away from Point Defiance Marina fishing pier
- Do not paddle under the Marina docks and elevators (danger of elevators and rising tides)
- May not go North past Owen Beach Picnic Shelter
- May go East of Slag Pile down Ruston Way no more than 400 feet from shore
- May not go South 400 feet from shore
- May not go West – Promenade/Beach
- Special Permissions – highly experienced kayakers
See you on the water soon!
Loaner Life Jackets
Kids 12 and under are required to wear life jackets at all times in most of the boats launched at Point Defiance. If they find themselves without one, they can borrow one for the day.
Through collaboration with the Tacoma Yacht Club’s Outreach committee, the Point Defiance Marina has two kiosks with a fun but serious message: “Kids Don’t Float!”