Environmental Learning Center Opening Celebration
Saturday, January 27 (11:00am - 2:00pm)
11 am- 2 pm
Join us in the Environmental Learning Center (ELC) and throughout Point Defiance for tons of fun, free activities. The entrance to the ELC is to the left of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium’s main entrance.
Environmental Learning Center (ELC):
- Take a student-led tour
- Participate in fun, educational, hands-on activities for all ages
Visit the Point Defiance Park room inside the ELC to:
- Receive exclusive promotional rates and limited-time rental packages for MPT Picnic Shelters and Signature Rental Facilities
- Learn more about Point Defiance Marina’s summer kayaking opportunities
- Engage with Fort Nisqually’s living history interpreters
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Fort Nisqually Living History Museum
In celebration of the ELC and Tacoma voter approved bond projects, Metro Parks is offering FREE general admission or Tacoma residents (valid ID required) on Jan. 27 at:
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
- Fort Nisqually Living History Museum
Point Defiance Park Visitors Center
Stop by the Point Defiance Park Visitors Center to receive FREE “Live like the Mountain is Out” giveaways for Tacoma residents while supplies last.
Point Defiance Park
5400 N. Pearl St.
Tacoma, WA 98407
In 2009, Tacoma Public Schools teamed up with Metro Parks Tacoma to establish the Science and Math Institute. Today, Point Defiance Park’s vast 760 acres serve as the campus for the public high school.
Thanks to voter approval of a school construction package in 2013, the new Environmental Learning Center provides classrooms for SAMI students and serves as a hub where every Tacoma Public Schools preschool student will spend a week immersed in nature. The ELC will also serve as the home for Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium’s conservation engagement and volunteer programs.