Point Defiance Roundabout
Metro Parks is working with the City of Tacoma and State Department of Transportation to smooth traffic flow at the park’s Pearl Street entrance by introducing a roundabout. Point Defiance Park and its attractions are open during construction. Read the press release >
Visitors should be aware of detours within the park:
Entering the park
Vehicles may enter the park at Pearl Street or Mildred Street. Both entrances are open. See map below.
Exiting the park
Vehicles must exit via Mildred Street or from the Boathouse/Ferry. See map below.
Make your visit a pleasant one
- Visit early in the day. When sunny days fall on the weekend we see park useage spike. Be aware that traffic is most likely to back up later in the afternoon when park attractions are closing.
- Carpool, carpool, carpool
- Use alternate transportation. Take the bus, ride a bicycle, or walk. (Scroll down to view the pedestrian access map)
Pedestrian Access Into the Park
The route with yellow arrows below is the safest way for pedestrians to enter the park.
March 12, 2018
- This week: There will be NO exit from the park from the Pearl Street access. SCI Infrastructure will be installing the storm drainage. They also will be grading in the roundabout work areas, including the curb and gutter areas.
- Visitors will see and hear relocated traffic flows and signage. construction activity, and hear heavy construction equipment noise and distractions. Expect distractions and short delays.
- Neighbors will see and hear construction activity and noise in the work area, along with modified traffic flows. Thank you for your patience.
- Traffic impacts: See map above. To leave the park follow detour signs to the the Mildred Street exit. There is no exit from the park to Pearl street, except for Ferry and boathouse traffic. Traffic flows into the park have been rerouted to allow continued flows into Point Defiance Park and Ferry Lanes. There will be some short delays and distractions and we thank you for your patience.
Work hours: 7 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday and occasional Saturdays.
Hit the play button to listen in as our project manager discusses the roundabout and waterfront projects and answers questions:
Visualization of completed roundabouts overlayed on the current road configuration: