#ImagineEastsideA feasiblity study recommended a $30 million facility. Final costs will be developed as programming, design and operational plans proceed.
The projected cost is expected to be covered by the following sources:
- $10 million from the 2014 Metro Parks capital improvement bond
- $5 million from the City of Tacoma
- $6 million from federal tax credits that encourage such community investment
- $3 million from private philanthropy
- $3 million in state grants
- $3 million from other sources to be determined
To ensure that the community center hosts exciting, attractive programming that strengthens leadership, character, academic success and career skills among Eastside youth, the Greater Metro Parks Foundation and the Boys & Girls Clubs of South Puget Sound are teaming up to raise $11.5 million. A portion of the funds raised will contribute to construction of the facilities, while $7 million will fund a program endowment to guarantee that exceptional youth programming will endure for Eastside youth.
The new center’s operations will be sustained by combining the operating budgets of the existing Portland Avenue Community Center and Eastside Pool, as well as additional revenue from memberships, rental fees, partners, and the programming endowment.