Metro Parks Tacoma is a CAPRA-accredited, independent park district that leads efforts to build a healthy, sustainable community.
Good parks, open space and program services contribute to economic development by fostering economic benefits and promoting tourism:
- Environmentally, they provide green infrastructure and help manage climate change.
- Socially, they revitalize communities, create safer neighborhoods, help children learn and grow, improve public and environmental health, and support smart growth.
- Culturally, open space and program services can nurture a sense of place in the community, and provide opportunities to engage the public of diverse backgrounds.
Metro Parks Tacoma offers a variety of experiences on its 2,905 acres:
- Two AZA-accredited zoos
- An old-growth forest inside 760-acre Point Defiance Park
- Sports complexes, pools and spraygrounds
- Community centers
- A marina on Puget Sound
- An accredited living history museum
- 87 miles of trails
- Nine community gardens
- A golf course
- A Victorian-style conservatory inside an arboretum
- and hundreds of program offerings in sports, arts, and more.