Metro Parks Tacoma strives to create an atmosphere of accessibility for our diverse community. If you have comments and suggestions to help us meet your expectations, please write email@example.com.
Boat Launch & Pier
- Parking: There are designated ADA parking stalls on site at the end of the parking lot; nearest the marina entrance. There is a drop off area leading to the marina entrance. After navigating the ramp from the parking lot, the route to boathouse and marina entry is firm and level on dock planks.
- Entrance: Main Entrance is the accessible entrance for the facility. External doors are not automated and require less then 8lb of pressure to open. Doors are commonly propped open and staff is available for assistance.
- Route: The dock is an open plaza leading to all piers and amenities. There is a 36" + wide accessible route through the tackle shop, to the boathouse, and to boat lifts. Any alternative paths of travel are noted on the route. Rental boat access is through the Marina. The new boathouse has two levels of lockers; the first level is accessible. The new boathouse has more stable ground consistency than the old boathouse locker area. Given that the Boathouse & Marina is an outdoor dock/pier foundation, disruptions in wood and concrete floorings may exist.
- Assistance: Most information, retail items, signage and customer materials are within the 15-48" reach range. Ice and herring coolers have lids that require more than 5lb of force to open. Staff is available to provide assistance with out of reach items & frozen bait, particularly in the marina. All cashier and assistance counters are 36" or less.
- Hospitality: There is a hospitality station in the marina tackle shop, and picnic tables out on the plaza. The hospitality station provides all services within reach range, with appropriate approach.
- Viewing: There are several water view points from inside the tackle shop and along the pier near the boathouse lockers. Safety railings may obstruct some of the view.
- Program: Accessible cleaning station is provided on the dock near the marina. Access to the floating fuel station is provided through an ADA compliant gangway. Assistance with the boat lift for rentals or boathouse tenants is available from the boathouse marina staff.
- Sensory Experience: The marina is in a waterfront complex where inconsistent winds, unique smells, saltwater spray, fish textures, and other natural elements exist. Persons with allergies or sensitivity should review the potential impact when deciding to visit.
Boat Launch & Pier
- Parking: There are parking stalls for truck trailer combination units in the lower pier parking lot C. After parking, users cross over to the curb ramp along the pier to reach the route to the boat launch. The overflow lot for the boat launch is available up the hill. There is not an accessible route from Overflow Parking Lot A and the boat launch.
- Route: The route from the parking lot to the launch is separated by the ferry terminal. The route crosses the terminal which creates an elevated slope. Due to this, extreme caution is needed. Ground markings designating cross walks should be followed. The launch gangways are built to accessibility standards.
- Assistance: Most information, launch signage, and customer materials are within the 15-48" reach range. Staff is available to provide assistance with payment, rules and out of reach items during launch hours. Assistance with the fishing pier amenities is available by contacting the Boathouse Marina staff.
- Restrooms: The public restrooms near the marina tackle shop entrance are accessible. Restrooms on the ferry terminal island are provided by the Department of Transportation. There is a restroom building in the upper overflow parking lot A. These restrooms are not compliant.
- Viewing: The pier provides access to a gazebo and two viewing stations. The viewing stations have picnic tables. The level of access within the viewing stations vary on placement and activity.
- Sensory Experience: The pier and launch are in a waterfront complex where inconsistent winds, unique smells, saltwater spray and other natural elements exist. Persons with allergies or sensitivity should review the potential impact when deciding to visit.
- Parking: There are designated ADA parking stalls on site nearest the Restaurant entrance. There is a drop off area leading to the entrance on firm and level on dock planks. The route to the restaurant is accessible.
- Entrance: Main Entrance is the accessible entrance. External doors are not automated and require less then 8lb of pressure to open.
- Internal Access: The internal routes and facility set up is managed by the restaurant.
- Restroom: The restaurant provides ADA accessible restrooms for customers.