Point Defiance Marina Kayak Rentals at Owen Beach
Weekends in April/May/September if weather permits • 12 - 6 pm
Summer 2019 opening date: May 25, 2019 (thru September 2)
|1st Hour||2 Hours||3 Hours||4 Hours||5 Hours|
All Prices include Paddle(s), PFD, and Float Cushion.
Visa, Mastercard, Discover Card accepted.
Cash may be paid at the Boathouse Tackle Shop.
Kayaks Available for Rent (21 total kayaks)
- Necky Looksha Tandem (6 total) Ride In
Length 18' 1" / Width 30" / Weight 96 lbs. / Maximum Capacity 575-625 lbs.
- Oceans Kayak Malibu 2XL Tandem Kayak Sit on Top (5 total) Ride On Top
Length 13' 5" / Width 34" / Weight 61 lbs. / Maximum Capacity 475 lbs.
- Old Town Sorrento 126 SK Single (11 total) Ride In
Weight 51 lbs. / Maximum Capacity 350 lbs.
What to Bring When Renting a Kayak
You will need a driver's license or appropriate ID
$500 deposit (Credit Card).
No Cash will be collected at Owen Beach Kayak Rentals, only VISA or MC. Cash will need to be paid at the Boathouse Marina Tackle Shop.
- Dress for the weather: wear clothes that dry quickly, sun hat, sunglasses with a strap, sunscreen, shoes that can get wet (no hard soles, sandals, or flip flops), change of clothes in a dry bag, phone in a dry bag, towel, jacket / keep all your belongings in a dry bag / a wetsuit is very nice but not required
- Keep hydrated and your energy up: bring water bottle with water, energy drink, hardy snack.
Kayak Rental Policies
- Kayak rentals are at your own risk. Point Defiance Marina/Metro Parks Tacoma and staff are not responsible for personal injury or loss of property.
- The person renting the kayak must be 18 years or older.
- Youth under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Maximum weight as per manufacturer's specifications.
- A personal floatation device is supplied and required at all times.
- Alcoholic beverages and pets are prohibited.
- Intentional capsizing or swamping the kayak is prohibited.
- No motors may be attached to a kayak.
- Do not stay on the water in the event of thunder or lightning.
- If the kayak capsizes it will continue to float. Hold onto the kayak and call (253) 591-7803 for help. If there is a medical emergency or injury call 911.
- Please dispose of litter in garbage cans at the end of your trip.
- Renter will be required to reimburse Point Defiance Marina/Metro Parks Tacoma for damaged or lost equipment.
- Rental equipment must be returend and checked by an attendant by the close of business.
- Kayaks are rented on a first come first serve basis.
- No refunds.
- In case of emergency call 911.
- Kayakers must follow vessel safety rules and stay within the boundaries designated by the attendants renting the kayak.
- Stay clear of the ferry when kayaking to Ruston Way
- Must stay out of boating lane and ferry lane (400 feet or less from shore)
- Must stay 200 feet away from Point Defiance Marina fishing pier
- Do not paddle under the Marina docks and elevators (danger of elevators and rising tides)
- May not go North past Owen Beach Picnic Shelter
- May go East of Slag Pile down Ruston Way no more than 400 feet from shore
- May not go South 400 feet from shore
- May not go West - Promenade/Beach
- Special Permissions - highly experienced kayakers
- Boathouse Tackle Shop (253) 404-3960
(Year-Round Info Number)
- Kayak Rental On Site Cell Phone (253) 278-2553
(During Kayak Season Only - May 26, 2018 to September 2018)
- Point Defiance Marina Boathouse Tackle Shop
5912 N. Waterfront Dr., Tacoma, WA 98407
See you on the water soon!