Warm weather forecast prompts early opening of 6 of Tacoma’s 10 spraygrounds
May 19, 2017
Metro Parks staff usually use the month of May to prepare spraygrounds for summer, with normal operation only on weekends.
This year, the parks maintenance team stepped up its testing in the hope of providing more service on hot days. Their work paid off in time for this week’s warm weather: Six of the district’s 10 spraygrounds will be open May 22 to 26.
- Kandle Park (Note this is the small splashpad outside the pool. The pool and its adjacent water feature will open June 17.)
- Norpoint Park - 4818 Nassau Ave. N.E.
- SERA Campus (near STAR Center) - 3873 S. 66th St.
- Titlow Park - 8425 6th Ave.
- Wright Park - 501 South I St.
- Verlo Playfield - 4321 McKinley Ave.
These locations ONLY will be open every day this week from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. The public’s patience is appreciated since this early opening overlaps with the maintenance staff’s pre-season testing period.
“It’s important to be able to take full advantage of sunny days in the northwest, so we hope that families will come enjoy the spraygrounds,” said Joey Furuto, community and neighborhood parks manager. “We just ask for people to be patient if they encounter any bugs this week. Since there is no scheduled afternoon staffing this time of year, if anything is not working correctly the sprayground may have to be shut down until the next morning.”
Beginning Saturday, May 27, all of the spraygrounds will be open seven days per week until Labor Day, regardless of the weather.
For more information visit MetroParksTacoma.org/Spraygrounds.
- Joey Furuto, Community and Neighborhood Parks Manager, (253) 305-1051; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Thompson, Public Information Officer, (253) 305-1092; email@example.com