Metro Parks, Emergency Food Network team up for food drive
December 1, 2015
Collection bins to be placed across district through January
The holiday season can be hard for people struggling with finances and related issues. In the spirit of giving, Metro Parks Tacoma and the Emergency Food Network (EFN) are working together to collect food donations, through January 31, 2016.
EFN collection bins will be placed this month at community centers, Tacoma Nature Center, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, W.W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory and other locations throughout the district. Each bin is able to hold more than 40 gallons of food.
“Our Metro Parks attractions and community centers are natural gathering places during the holidays,” said Tim Reid, president of the Metro Parks Board of Commissioners. “Tacoma is a generous community, and we hope that placing collection bins at our facilities throughout the community helps bolster donations to EFN and increases resources for those in need.”
Donations to food banks usually fall after the holidays, so Metro Parks will continue its collection for EFN through January 31.
Donors are asked to provide canned foods and dry goods with shelf life. Proteins, such as peanut butter and beans, are among the most-needed foods.
EFN has helped ensure Pierce County residents have a reliable food supply since 1982. The organization provides 15 million pounds of healthy, nutritious food each year to more than 60 food banks, hot meal sites and shelters for distribution to low-income families and individuals.
Metro Parks / EFN collection bin locations:
- Center at Norpoint, 4818 Nassau Ave. NE
- Tacoma Nature Center, 1919 S. Tyler St.
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, 5400 N. Pearl St.
- Portland Avenue Community Center, 3513 Portland Ave.
- Point Defiance Marina, 5912 N. Waterfront Drive (inside the tackle shop)
- Point Defiance Visitors Center, 5715 Roberts Garden Road (inside Point Defiance Park)
- W.W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory, 316 S. G. St. (in Wright Park)
- Metro Parks Headquarters, 4702 S. 19th St.
- People’s Community Center, 1602 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Way
- STAR Center, 3873 S. 66th St.
All locations except STAR Center will collect from November through January. STAR Center will begin collecting for EFN in December (and for PHISH Food Bank in November).
# # #