Parks Appreciation Day
2018 Parks Appreciation Day Sites
- Browns Point Playfield, 4915 La Hal Da Ln. (Meet near the curly slide and playground.)
- Charlotte's Blueberry Park, 7402 East D St. (Meet at the entrance to the park off of D Street.)
- McKinley Park, E Upper Park Dr. and McKinley Ave. (Meet at the pillars and McKinley Park sign on Upper Park Street.)
- Point Defiance Park, 5400 N. Pearl St., (Meet in the Visitors Center parking lot just across from the tennis courts.) DETOURS IN PLACE DUE TO CONSTRUCTION AT PEARL STREET. LEARN MORE >
- STAR Center, 3873 S. 66th St. (Meet in the parking lot near the tennis courts.)
- Swan Creek Park, 44th and Roosevelt Ave. (Meet near the community garden.)
- Tacoma Nature Center, S 19th and Tyler St. (Meet in the parking lot near the entrance to the Nature Center building.)
- Titlow Park, 8201 6th Ave. (Meet in the large parking lot near the spray and playground.)
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
- Wear warm, appropriate clothing, depending on the weather.
- Bring tools such as small hand tools, loppers, pruners, gloves, rakes, shovels, small pitch forks and even wheelbarrows (make sure and label them!).
- You are encouraged to carpool to the site you chose.
- Most of all bring your enthusiasm, smiles and be ready to burn some calories and have fun!
METRO PARKS TACOMA ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- An estimated 1,000 people volunteer
- Approximately 3,000 hours received enhancing parks yearly
- An estimated $64,860 of equivalent value received yearly
- An estimated 2,500 people volunteer throughout Pierce County
- Approximately 7,500 hours received enhancing parks
- An estimated $162,150 of equivalent value received
- Over 200 cubic yards of debris removed
- Over 150 bags of litter collected
- Over 15 yards of gravel spread
- Over 600 yards of mulch/chips spread
- Over 2,000 plants/trees/shrubs planted
It's gratifying to know you are part of a major county-wide effort with nearly 2,000 other people working in their local parks at the same time.
>This year local agencies are celebrating on two dates:
Saturday, April 21, 2018, 9 am to Noon
Saturday, April 28, 2018, 9 am to Noon