The north end playfield project had its beginning nearly 20 years ago. The first financial support came from the estate of the late Benjamin L. Harvey. The field bears the name of Mr. Harvey’s mother. The land at North 39th & Orchard was purchased by the park district from Pierce county at a tax sale in 1935. Some work was done at the site by WPA crews during depression days, but the present operations retrieved the 8.5 acre field from under a thicket of alders which had grown up during the war years (from “Long-Planned North End Playfield is Growing” in the May 28, 1948 Tacoma Labor Advocate).