801 N Mason Ave
Tacoma, WA 98406
Open ½ hour before sunrise
Close ½ hour after sunset
2019 Sprayground Hours:
10 am- 8 pm
May 25- September 2: Open daily
September 7-29: Open weekends
At close to 15 acres this neighborhood park has room for team sports, kids play and spray ground equipment, picnicking and a fieldhouse for classes.
About Jefferson Park
Jefferson Park was established in 1922. Visitors to the field house are requested to park on North 9th Street and to avoid using the service road that runs near the children’s playfields. Parking is available adjacent to the building for persons displaying an official disabled parking pass.
2019 Sprayground Hours
- 10 am- 8 pm
- May 25- September 2: Open daily
- September 7-29: Open weekends
Spraygrounds are free, there is no admission fee.
Keep it clean!
- Anyone with a communicable disease or who has been ill with vomiting or diarrhea within the last two weeks is prohibited.
- Children in diapers must wear “swim diapers” to prevent contamination.
- Diaper changes must be done in designated restroom areas.
- Food and drink are prohibited.
- A cleansing shower is required before entering the sprayground per WAC 246.260.131.
Keep it safe!
- Do not drink sprayground water
- This area is not under continuous supervision by Metro Parks Tacoma.
- Citizens using the facility do so at their own risk.
- Pets are prohibited
- Bikes, rollerblades, and skateboards are prohibited between May 1 and September 30.
- Running or participating in disorderly behavior is unsafe and prohibited.
- Persons under the influence of alcohol or drugs are prohibited.
- Patrons refusing to obey the posted rules are subject to removal from the premises.
To report any operating issues, please call (253)305-1035.
Sprayground water quality and later treatment information
The water at our Spraygrounds is recycled and sanitized through filtration and UV light.
At Jefferson, for example, there is a 3,000 gallon tank underground that is continuously (24/7) being circulated, filtered, and treated. The system automatically monitors and adds chlorine and CO2 as needed (as well as being manually monitored by staff several times a day during the summer).
The system is designed to turn off if chlorine levels fall below the prescribed level. Once a week the tank is totally emptied, cleaned and replenished with clean tap water. And just before the water goes out to the spray pad it passes through a Ultra Violet (UV) filter that instantaneously kills any bacteria or bugs.
With the recirc system we use about 7,000 gallons a week. If it were fresh water it would be almost a million gallons of water a week.
- Parking: On street perimeter
- Restroom: Yes
- Water Fountain: Yes – in restroom building
- Surface: Wood fiber with a central paved path
- Swings: Yes – (0) high back support swings
- Ground Play: All ground access arches, seats and spinners
- Adaptive Play: Limited transfer options; no transfer system or ramp
- Sensory Play: Manipulatives, Web, Imagination
- Play Tables: None
- Shade: Limited, outside of playground area
- Accommodations: Picnic tables mixed into play and spray footprint
- Sprayground: Yes – water spray features with zero depth access