Originally used by Tacoma City Light from 1951 to 1983 as a Substation, this became a neighborhood ‘Pocket Park’ in 2002. North Slope Historic Park is .23 acres.
Originally purchased by Tacoma City Light in 1951 for use as a ‘Distribution Yard,’ this Substation remained in active service until 1983. When the method of power distribution changed, the transformers were disconnected and later removed.
Local residents noted Tacoma Power had a vacant lot and wondered whether it could become a ‘Pocket Park’ instead of another huge apartment complex. The North End Neighborhood Council eventually secured the funds from the Thea Foss Bond Issue given to each neighborhood council and in April 2001 the City of Tacoma became the owner of the property.
Through an agreement with the City, Metro Parks Tacoma designed, developed, and now maintains this park which had its opening ceremony June 8, 2002. Neighborhood volunteers maintain the beds and plants. The small park contains a wooden piece of play equipment for small children, seating, and a handicapped ramp. The design and equipment in the park were approved by the Landmarks Commission.
The park is dedicated to Valerie Sivinski, former Tacoma Historic Preservation Officer, who provided guidance for the creation of the North Slope Historic District.