Bringing new professional sports franchises, a stadium, and much needed sports fields to our community.
About the Project
- A partnership of the Seattle Sounders FC and Tacoma Rainiers, called The Soccer Club of Tacoma, is interested in working with Metro Parks and the City of Tacoma to bring new professional sports franchises, a stadium and much needed sports fields to the community.
- The partners equitably shared the cost and scope of a study to assess the feasibility of the proposed Heidelberg Sports Village concept.
Three components of this project
- Stadium: Development of a 5,000-seat soccer stadium, with the Tacoma Defiance and Reign FC as anchor tenants, and otherwise hosting high school and Metro Parks activities.
- Mixed-Use Development: The potential for a mixed-use commercial/residential development on the Heidelberg/Cheney campus that could leverage the soccer stadium and Cheney Stadium as the core for renewed economic development in Central Tacoma.
- Athletic Fields: A previous study by Metro Parks and the Tacoma School District decisively concluded the city needs more athletic fields to meet current and expected public demand, and this study identified a site on the Tacoma Community College campus as the preferred alternative.
Next stepsWith the feasibility study complete, the parties are conducting public outreach to share the results of the study and collect public feedback. They are also negotiating over financing and an operations plan for the public’s consideration. If they reach an agreement, the Board of Park Commissioners and the Tacoma City Council both would have to vote to approve it.
Heidelberg Sports Village Feasibility Study
A little over a year ago, a joint venture between the Tacoma Rainiers and the Seattle Sounders FC (the Soccer Club of Tacoma), The City of Tacoma and Metro Parks hired indepen…Read More
Metro Parks moves ahead to explore feasibility of professional soccer stadium with city, Seattle Sounders, Rainiers
The Metro Parks Tacoma Board of Commissioners on Dec. 11, 2017 gave Executive Director Shon Sylvia the go-ahead to explore possible partnerships for the development of a profe…Read More