Swan Creek Park is a 373-acre greenspace with a salmon bearing stream, wooded canyon, upland forest, paved and natural trails, a community garden, and mountain bike trails.
Estimated Phase II Timeline
- Master Plan - Complete
- Schematic Design - Spring 2019
- Design Development - Summer 2019
- Construction Documents - Winter 2020
- Construction Complete - Winter 2021
- Funded Phase II Improvements
About the Project
- Phase II Improvements
- Dog Park
- New Restroom
- 2 picnic shelters
- 75 parking spaces
- 3.65 miles of pedestrian and bicycle paths
- 4.94 miles of renovated trails
- Park entrance sign
- Orientation kiosk
- Interpretive graphics
- Road improvements
- New plantings
In 2016 closed the McKinley off-leash area to comply with the Habitat Enhancement plan for the critical area buffer regulated by the City of Tacoma. We had hoped to move it quickly to Swan Creek Park. Unfortunately a series of events has changed the timeline.
It was decided we should refresh the masterplan for the Lister Uplands portion of Swan Creek Park before starting on the next phase of capital improvements. Some of the delay is also centered around grant opportunities.
The good news is the public process is underway!
Swan Creek Planning Documents
- Phase II Presentation 2019
- Master Plan 2011 (Full Document)
- Master Plan 2011 (One-Sheet)
- 2019 Swan Creek Park Master Plan Update, Mithun
- 2018 Swan Creek Park Lister Uplands Biological Review Report, Geoengineers
- 2019 Swan Creek Park Phase II Project, Cultural Resources Assessment, ESA
- 2019 Swan Creek Park Master Plan Update Traffic Study, Fehr & Peers
- 2019 Swan Creek Park Trail Network Project, Geotechnical Engineering Report, Geoengineers
Get Project Updates
Swan Creek Park Phase I
Several upgrades, including a 20-stall parking lot near the existing community garden and new park entrances. Project complete.
Swan Creek Mountain Bike Trails II
Additional trails to the mountain bike course. Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance is performing design and leading volunteer construction efforts. Project complete.
2013 – Trail Improvements
The focus was on the Swan Creek canyon and adjacent uplands – improving and building a network of soft surfaced pedestrian trails to expand the recreational use of the park. Signage was added to select main trails.
2013 – E. 56th Street Improvements
The Lister School entry improvements included a directory sign, new swing gate, and park entry sign.
2012 – Community Garden
Reactivation of the irrigation water service at this site; re-construction of irrigation hydrants to provide hose watering access to all garden plots; relocation leveling and painting and modifications to the existing garden shed; installation of a chain link perimeter garden fence; and other incidental purchases and improvements associated with the Community Garden.
July 25, 2011
Swan Creek Master Plan accepted by the Board of Park Commissioners.