This popular site is located near the entrance to Five Mile Drive and is an ideal spot for family gatherings. It has a water view and a playground.
Point Defiance Main Picnic Shelter
Picnic sites are available for rent between April 1 and September 30 each year. Reservations may be made up to 365 days in advance.
- Hours: Available daily 10 am-dusk
- Tables: 8
- Restrooms: Yes
- BBQ’s and Stoves: 2 small BBQ’s
- Electricity: Yes – 110v outlet (1)
- Water: Fountain nearby
- Parking: Parking nearby. Limited number of spaces
- Picnic Shelter Rental Guide
For Emergencies call 911
Pep up your Point Defiance picnic with a fun-filled kit from Metro Parks!
Order your kit when you rent your picnic site, then pick up your kit within 24 hours of your picnic and return by the end of the next business day to the Point Defiance Visitors Center open 10 am-5 pm, Thursdays-Sundays, Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend.
- Sports Kit
What You Get: Baseballs, baseball bats, set of bases, football and soccer ball
What It Costs: $25 + plus $25 damage deposit
- Field Day Kit
What You Get: 12-foot parachute, frisbees, cones for obstacle courses, burlap sacks and balls
What It Costs: $25+ plus $25 damage deposit
- Sports Kit
Main Picnic Shelter Accessibility (rating 1)
- Parking: Designated ADA parking at picnic location but slope from parking to site is excessive.
- Route: Route is not level, many slopes to reach shelters; mixed consistency. Restroom is not reachable from the site.
- Tables: Group tables are clustered in a manner that does not provide or guarantee ADA seating at all required stations.
- Amenities: not all amenities are within reach or provide approach (grills, signage, fountains)
- Restrooms: Not on route.
- Rating note: Scale of 1 to 5, 1-low/5-high
Picnic Shelter Rental Advisory
Please be advised, your facility rental is for the shelter only.
The rental client and Metro Parks Tacoma cannot reserve parking spaces or restrict other people’s activities in the park nearby unless the activities are illegal. Our parks are open for public use and your experience may include:
- Various forms of wildlife.
- Loud music or park patrons.
- Dogs running off-leash and/or dogs excessively barking.
- People enjoying the park in close proximity to your rental space.
We strongly encourage all rental guests to carpool and allow for plenty of time to find parking due to traffic revisions, fencing, and construction equipment at Point Defiance Park under Destination Point Defiance.
Destination Point Defiance is a long-term comprehensive planning initiative started years ago to enhance the park’s experience and honor its character. The capital improvement bond approved by voters in 2014 is funding much of the related construction work along with grants from the state RCO program, Washington State taxpayers, donors and other sources. For more information, please visit destinationpointdefiance.org
Picnic Shelter Rental Terms & Cancelation Policy
- Bounce houses and Amplified Music are not permitted unless they are (1) provided by a professional bounce house/entertainment equipment company; and (2) a certificate of insurance is provided by the professional company listing Metro Parks Tacoma as additional insured.
- Do not place small hibachis, table-top barbecues or any other hot items on top of picnic tables. Many of Metro Parks’ picnic tables are constructed from recycled plastic and can melt if hot items are placed on top.
- Overall facility appearance and condition at Metro Parks Tacoma facilities may change between venue viewing and the day of the scheduled event.
More than 30 days’ written notice of cancellation will receive a 100% refund; 0 to 30 days’ notice will receive a 50% refund. Additionally, no refunds are given due to weather conditions.