Wapato Park is ideal for medium to large size groups. Park amenities include a walking trail around the lake, a playground and an off-leash dog park.
Wapato Park Main Picnic Shelter
Picnic sites are available for rent between April 1 and September 30 each year. Reservations may be made up to 365 days in advance.
- Hours: Available daily 10 am-dusk
- Tables: 4 under shelter; 10 outside
- Restrooms: Nearby
- BBQ’s and Stoves: None
- Electricity: Yes – 110v outlet (1)
- Water: None
- Parking: Limited parking during the summer with 86 stalls in the main lot available.
- Picnic Shelter Rental Guide
During business hours
Monday-Friday 7:30 am-5:30 pm
After business hours
Park Manager on Duty
For Emergencies call 911
Wapato Main Picnic Shelter Accessibility (rating 2)
- Parking: Parking is in main lot with identified stalls.
- Route: There is a main route with crushed rock and paved path to get near the shelter, however not all the way up to the shelter. The natural route is sloped and there are tread disruptions.
- Tables: Tables are clustered in a manner that does not provide or guarantee ADA seating at required number of stations. Transition from ground into picnic pavilion is a step. Many tables outside of the shelter.
- Amenities: Some amenities may be out of reach range or lack approach – water, sink, grills, etc
- Restrooms: Site restrooms are provided in the park and are accessible; restrooms are on paved route.
- Rating note: Scale of 1 to 5, 1-low/5-high
Picnic Shelter Rental Advisory
Please be advised, your facility rental is for the shelter only.
The rental client and Metro Parks Tacoma cannot reserve parking spaces or restrict other people’s activities in the park nearby unless the activities are illegal. Our parks are open for public use and your experience may include:
- Various forms of wildlife.
- Loud music or park patrons.
- Dogs running off-leash and/or dogs excessively barking.
- People enjoying the park in close proximity to your rental space.
Picnic Shelter Rental Terms & Cancelation Policy
- Bounce houses and Amplified Music are not permitted unless they are (1) provided by a professional bounce house/entertainment equipment company; and (2) a certificate of insurance is provided by the professional company listing Metro Parks Tacoma as additional insured.
- Do not place small hibachis, table-top barbecues or any other hot items on top of picnic tables. Many of Metro Parks’ picnic tables are constructed from recycled plastic and can melt if hot items are placed on top.
- Overall facility appearance and condition at Metro Parks Tacoma facilities may change between venue viewing and the day of the scheduled event.
More than 30 days’ written notice of cancellation will receive a 100% refund; 0 to 30 days’ notice will receive a 50% refund. Additionally, no refunds are given due to weather conditions.