Metro Parks Tacoma is partnering with various groups and individuals from the community to build a 1-acre food forest in Swan Creek Park. The Tacoma Food Forest and multiple community-wide edible pathways will serve the community in the following ways:
- Educate the community about the advantages of permaculture and sustainable landscapes/ecosystems
- Provide free, accessible, nutritious food to community members experiencing food insecurity
- Enhance the recreational experience of park users and encourage outdoor activities by providing enticing fruits for consumption
- Beautify the urban landscape with flowering plants and trees, while implementing a sustainable urban canopy
- Provide our community with an edible urban design system that can be mapped and promoted as a unique program, worthy of positive attention for our region.
- Honor social diversity, including identifiers such as socioeconomic status, race, gender, creed, and culture, creating a safe and welcomed place for expression and sovereignty.
Learn more about the Food Forest