Swan Creek Park Improvements
Swan Creek Park Phase I
Several upgrades, including a 20-stall parking lot near the existing community garden and new park entrances.
Swan Creek Mountain Bike Trails II
Additional trails to the mountain bike course. Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance is performing design and leading volunteer construction efforts.
Swan Creek Property Acquisition
Metro Parks is coordinating with Tacoma Housing Authority to purchase property next to Swan Creek Park for the purpose of providing more direct access to the park from Portland Avenue.
- 2012-2014 - Greenspace Habitat Restoration & Forest Management
Work includes purchase of a Bobcat T590 Compact Track Loader (or similar type), various attachments and an associated trailer to implement the capital improvement and manage it through time. This project will result in approximately 71 acres being cleared of invasive plants. Improvements are expected to be made between April 2013 and October 2014. After the work is completed, the meadows and associated understory vegetation will need to be managed with periodic mowing and associated maintenance tasks (blowing/debris removal, etc.) several times per year.
05/17/13 Status - $8000 from the Greenspace Fund is being added to this project to allow for completion of all the boardwalk improvements and signage (including th enew mountain bike trails. The trail/boardwalk work will be completed by EarthCorps staff. All nine boardwalks to be upgraded are located in the canyon and will use the same specifications as those completed at Titlow Park. Work needs to avoid the fish window but is expected to be completed no later than mid-November.
- 2013 - Trail Improvements - The focus was on the Swan Creek canyon and adjacent uplands - improving and building a network of soft surfaced pedestrian trails to expand the recreational use of the park. Signage was added to select main trails.
- 2013 - E. 56th Street Improvements
The Lister School entry improvements included a directory sign, new swing gate, and park entry sign.
- 2012 - Community Garden - Reactivation of the irrigation water service at this site; re-construction of irrigation hydrants to provide hose watering access to all garden plots; relocation leveling and painting and modifications to the existing garden shed; installation of a chain link perimeter garden fence; and other incidental purchases and improvements associated with the Community Garden.
- July 25, 2011 - Swan Creek Master Plan accepted by the Board of Park Commissioners.
Schematic Site Plan (May 24, 2012)
Schematic Design: Gathering Area (May 24, 2012)
Street Level Drawing: Orchard & Walk, Picnic Shelter, Gathering Circle, Orchards/Berries, Garden (May 24, 2012)
Street Level Drawing: Meadow, Parking, Walk, Garden Gathering Shed, Garden (May 24, 2012)
- Recreation Area: A Proposal - 1979 / by Swan Creek Park Action Committee
- Report - 1982 / by Swan Creek Advisory Committee
- Management Plan - 1995 / by Lee & Associates (not adopted by Board)
- Salmon migration and the efforts of Bill & Mary Haire to save the stream article in Outdoor Magazine - 2005
- Cross County Commuter Connector (4-C) Trail Report - 2007 / by Parametrix
- Fish & Wildlife Habitat Assessment Report - 2008 / by Pierce County Public Works & Utilities
- SEPA (State Environmental Policy Act) Documents - 2011
- Opportunities & Constraints Analysis - 2011 / by MIG
- Planning Process - 2011 / internship paper by Kelly Wyman UPS Graduate