Tacoma Nature Center 40th Anniversary
Nature Centers can provide many things for the local community and the Tacoma Nature Center has been a part of this community for 40 years.
Please join us in celebrating this milestone all year long with many opportunities for you to play, learn and grow right along with us.
We have recruited a special friend to help us celebrate this year and he will be adventuring all over the park in 2019. Meet Filbert the Frog and the rest of the staff of the Tacoma Nature Center here. You can follow Filbert and learn all about upcoming events and programs by liking our Tacoma Nature Center Facebook page.
Visit us at the Nature Center during open hours to take a picture with Filbert so you can post your own adventure on social media. Just ask to “borrow” Filbert at the front desk.
Pictured here are TNC staff members David and Lauren with a Filbert selfie in front of our Tacoma Nature Center mosaic by the main entrance. What a great spot for a selfie!
Reflections of Snake Lake
Artwork on display: October 1 – December 21, 2019
This special exhibit features visual and written reflections of Snake Lake and the Tacoma Nature Center. Enjoy the exhibit during regular open hours when there is not a group using the space. Call ahead if you want to be sure the exhibit is viewable during your visit.
Member-Only EventsMember-Only Event Schedule
The Tacoma Nature Center is extremely grateful for the support we receive from our members and we want to show our appreciation during this anniversary year with some special events.
1979 was a great year!
Here are some interesting tidbits from that year:
- Average Income per year $17,500.00
- Average Monthly Rent $280.00
- Cost of a gallon of Gas was 86 cents
- The General Knowledge Quiz Game Trivial Pursuit is Launched
- Sony released the Walkman and the first Snowboard is invented in the USA
- Popular Films included: Superman The Movie, Every Which Way But Loose, Rocky II, Alien, The Amityville Horror, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Moonraker, The Muppet Movie, The Deer Hunter, and Kramer vs. Kramer
- Popular Musicians and songs included: Bee Gees with ” Love you Inside Out “, Gloria Gaynor with ” I will Survive “, Blondie with ” Heart of Glass “, Donna Summer with “Hot Stuff” and “Bad Girls”, Michael Jackson, The Eagles, Commodores, Pink Floyd, The Police, and Village People
- Popular TV Program included: All My Children, Masterpiece Theatre, M*A*S*H, The Price Is Right, The Waltons, The Young and the Restless, Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie, and Saturday Night Live
Around here, one of the most exciting things about 1979 was that a nature center was established right here in Tacoma.
Originally called the Snake Lake Nature Center after the wetland located in the park, the Center consisted of several portable buildings and a few staff and volunteers offering nature programming.
Over the years the onsite physical spaces have become more permanent and varied, the program offerings have increased tremendously in variety and number, and our reach has expanded into the city around us.
Together with our partners in education, like Tahoma Audubon, we have helped create a real community of nature lovers in Tacoma. Look back with us at some of the highlights from the last 40 years.
Tacoma Nature Center Timeline