Volunteers make fun and have fun at The Tacoma Nature Center. How can you get involved?
- Contact Brianna Charbonnel at 253-404-3930 or email@example.com
- Summer Teen Volunteers have a different process - please see below.
||HABITAT RESTORATION WORK - STEWARDSHIP VOLUNTEERS
Help maintain the trails and grounds at the Tacoma Nature Center. They may trim vegetation, plant native plantings, remove non-native species or maintain our planting beds and gardens. Picking up litter and other miscellaneous tasks also may be part of the job. Special projects may be available based on the abilities and interests of volunteers.
- All work parties are from 9:00am - noon
- Check main calendar for upcoming dates
- No application needed for these work parties - just sign in when you arrive.
- Remaining 2018 dates are: November 16, December 7 & 21
Help lead tours and programs at the Tacoma Nature Center. All that is required is a love of nature and a desire to share it with others. We provide training and a manual to help you along with mentor docents eager to share what they know. Most programs occur between 9am and 3pm, Tuesday through Saturday. Volunteer Naturalists may also choose to participate in Birthday Party Program presentation and Outreach presentations.
||SPECIAL EVENT VOLUNTEERS
Help plan and prepare for special events, set-up or clean-up event and assist visitors during the event. Most events occur at the Tacoma Nature Center, but some take place at other Metro Parks sites. Events occur mainly on Saturdays, but occasional weeknight opportunities also exist. No special training or commitment required.
2018 Teen Summer Positions
The Tacoma Nature Center has volunteer opportunities for teens ages 12 and older. Teen volunteers, after a training session, help with a variety of tasks. Duties may include leading games and hikes at nature camps, assisting staff at family events, stewardship projects, and light animal care. Teen volunteers must have permission from parent(s) or guardian(s) before volunteering. Some students are able to receive extra credit for school or use the experience to fulfill project requirements. It's a great way to learn while making a difference to help our natural community.
Teens ages 12-18 can apply to join the Teen Staff for summer nature day camps held at Tacoma Nature Center.
- Teens ages 12-18 may apply to join the staff as volunteers. Training is required and takes place June 26 & 27 before camps. You may choose from one to two weeks of camps to volunteer, depending on your schedule and the number of volunteers available. If accepted, new teen volunteers are typically assigned 1 volunteer week.
- You may submit your application to Lauren Bentson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop it off at the Tacoma Nature Center at 1919 S. Tyler St. Tacoma, WA 98405 Mon- Sat 9am-4pm.
There is a $30 fee for training which includes all supplies, snacks and staff t-shirt. Financial assistance is available.
We will start accepting applications on March 1, and the application deadline is April 14. Space is limited so apply early. Download the application here.
Here is what our Teen Staff do:
- Assist with the supervision of campers during activities, hikes, lunch, snack breaks, and field trips to ensure physical and emotional safety of children.
- Lead and teach campers nature-related games and activities.
- Model appropriate behavior and attitude which fosters a fun and engaging learning environment showing respect for nature and others at all times.
- Age 12-18 years
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Must enjoy working outdoors
- Must enjoy working with groups of children
- Know how to have FUN!